4 days until the end of the first month of 2016, boy oh boy! While it feels like it’s flown by so darn fast, it also feels like it’s been 2016 for quite the while now (and I say that based solely on the fact that the last time I had to write down the current date, I did not make the mistake of jotting down ‘2015’ like I had done for the first 3 weeks of the year).
I’ve been pretty happy with myself over the last year or two because I feel like I’ve taken on a lot of stuff that I believe adults deal with on a daily basis. Paying the bills, or resisting the urge to order take-away to cook a healthy meal instead, or ordering take-away anyway when you realize it’s your freaking hard earned money so you’ll spend it how you want – you know, all that adulthood stuff.
So I got to writing a list of everything I’d done in January this year that really just made me realize that maybe, just maybe, I have this adulthood thing down.
January 2016 Adulthood Accomplishments
- Deleted all the Step Up movies to free up space on my laptop, with the grim acceptance of the fact that I will (probably*) never be a professional dancer, which was what I initially kept them for.
*You can tell I’m still clinging on to that dream just a little bit though
- Successfully painted my nails without gagging at the smell of nail polish (my mother would be so proud!)
- Reached a new relationship milestone with the boyfriend – we’re moving into a new place together, with no other housemates! (Can’t wait for naked Sundays! Though to be fair, it’s not like having housemates ever stopped us, really.)
- Sat down and created a budget plan on Excel with like tables and center-aligned headings and stuff, like mature adults do
- Broke down and cried when I realized most of my pay is now going to go into rent and bills and freaking furniture
- Used a classy-ass meme from an old-school musical ‘Grease’ released in 1978 (let’s face it, kids today will never come to understand Sandy and Danny’s unbreakable love that served as a beacon of hope to so many loveless young tweens in the 90’s).
- Learned how to iron a shirt – thank you YouTube for always providing me with ways to be productive, especially at 4 a.m when I can’t sleep
- Came first and beat my biggest competitor in the Fitbit Who-Can-Walk-The-Most-Steps-Over-A-Week Challenge.
…Okay, so maybe my opponent was Marcus’ mum, who may be over twenty years older than me, but in my defense, that woman easily walks 15,000 steps a day! To paint a picture of comparison, last Sunday when I checked my Fitbit at 4 pm, Marcus and I had done a total of 655 steps (although, in our defense, it was a ‘stay-in-bed-all-day’ kind of day).
All in all, this January has been pretty darn productive, and I think I’ll reward myself with extra-dessert tonight (and yes, by that I mean a dessert after dessert).
There really aren’t many more things in life that can top that.